Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013

From: Duncan Shepherd
Subject: Re: Octave in Google Summer of Code 2013
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:06:21 +0000

On 12 February 2013 01:19, Andrius Sutas <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Google has just announced GSoC 2013:
>
>     http://google-opensource.blogspot.ca/2013/02/flip-bits-not-burgers-google-summer-of.html
>
> Although Octave has participated under the auspices of the GNU project
> for GSoC, we will very much be trying to get in to GSoC as an
> independent organisation this year, like we tried to last year. To
> this end, as a community, we need to present a convincing application.
>
> The two most important things to do this is to polish our ideas page:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
>
> and our application, of course:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_2013_application
>
> The ideas page needs an update. A lot of progress has been made in
> many of those ideas! There is also nothing wrong with new ideas. If
> you need inspiration, the Projects page can help, and you can pick
> something from there and shape it into a better-defined idea for
> prospective students:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Projects
>
> Let's hope Octave really makes a splash in GSoC 2013.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thank you Jordi for the heads up.
I think we need to prioritize the Agora project...anyways I updated
the low level I/O entry

http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Low-Level_I.2FO

@Andrius: Would you have time to mentor a student? Who else can do it.
My knowledge here is really low!

Cheers

Hey,

thanks for considering me! I would love to, but unfortunately I am unable to dedicate the time that is required for a good mentor due to important deadlines that I have to meet in the following months.

In case GSoC only requires active mentor participation during the summer months, then I would be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Andrius

Guys

In view of the topic, can I ask what the status us with the classdef project?  I've seen it mentioned a few times over the last year or so (eg   http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/interview-with-john-w.-eaton-of-gnu-octave), and it's listed on the project page as being 'underway', but that's all I know. Is this something that could be put into GSoC?

Atb

Duncan