Re: How to decrease distance between xlabel and xaxis

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: How to decrease distance between xlabel and xaxis
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:54:30 -0500

On Feb 12, 2013, at 7:14 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Márcio Barbalho <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Do you know if there's a way of customising this 'little' detail. I have
>> searched online with no luck. I tried exporting data to gnuplot separately
>> but it's much harder to change font properties in gnuplot. So I wonder if
>> any of you has done this before. To my eyes and many papers reviwers, the
>> labels are placed a bit far from the axis which leads to a smaller graph for
>> the same available area.
>
> This should work with the FLTK backend (not sure about gnuplot backend):
>
> h = get (gca, 'xlabel')
> set (h, 'position', ...)
>
> Michael.

You can also export the gnuplot commands by ...

        drawnow ("pdf", "my_plot.pdf", false, "my_plot.gp")

Then edit my_plot.gp and add an offset to the xlabel command.  The gnuplot docs
indicate the syntax below.

        set xlabel {"<label>"} {offset <offset>}

Finally, you then run the commands through gnuplot

        gnuplot my_plot.gp

This is very inconvenient for routine plotting, but is an effective solution
for figures needed for publishing.

Ben