Re: Bug plot after calling plotyy

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Bug plot after calling plotyy
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:14:54 -0500

On 26 January 2013 20:05, Lourenço <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 26 January 2013 21:58, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 26 January 2013 18:01, Lourenco <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I reported this issue at stackoverflow:
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14533543/error-plotting-data-read-from-csv-file
>>
>> We're doing something wrong if your first impression is to report bugs
>> to Stack Overflow instead of to us:
>>
>>     http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/bugs.html
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions on how to make it clearer how to report
>> Octave bugs? When you start Octave, there is a message that tells you
>> how to report bugs. How can we make it more likely for you to read
>> this message?
>
> Thank you so much for you explanation, Jordi. It's quite likely to
> read that message, no doubt. However, I think I did not write
> perfectly what I mean. When I wrote ``reported this issue at'', I
> would like to mean that the details of the problem I face are
> described there. I must apologize for my bad words.

It appears I am still not being clear.

You think it's a bug. I agree. The page linked above suggests that

    If Octave produces an error message for valid input, that is a bug.

which seems to be precisely the situation here.

If you think it is a bug, please report it. You may choose not to, but
bug reporting is a helpful activity for the Octave project. The point
of reporting bugs isn't for them to be fixed for you. It's a courtesy
to other users and to developers so that we may have a public record
of Octave's shortcomings. Someone may choose to fix that bug, as a
further courtesy.

So, let me reiterate: bug reports are very welcome. Is there a way we
can make this clearer? We want bug reports, and we want them here:

    http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=octave

So please, please, please, report bugs!

- Jordi G. H.