Re: Memory Leak

From: James Sherman Jr.
Subject: Re: Memory Leak
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 00:34:58 -0500

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Sukanta Basu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Octave 3.6.2 on Ubuntu 12.10. I have written a code for solving
> certain fluid dynamics problem (~5000 lines) using Octave and the
> openmpi_ext toolbox. I am noticing a strange problem with Octave. The memory
> usage slowly increases with each iteration. My computer has a RAM of 24 GB.
> Initially, Octave consumes ~3 GB of memory, then the consumption goes as
> high as 24 GB. At this point, the simulation crashes with a "bus error". If
> I restart the simulation, the same thing happens. I cannot figure out the
> cause for this memory leakage. Can anyone help? I have found the same
> problem on multiple machines (all has identical hardware/software
> configurations).
>
> Thanks,
> Sukanta Basu

Hi Sukanta,

Without knowing/seeing your code, its hard to diagnose anything
definitely.  However, I've run into this problem from time to time if
there is a particular matrix/cell array that grows without bound.  Or
possibly if there is a function that uses significant (e.g. more than
linear) memory the larger the input becomes.  Are there any variables
that you keep from iteration to iteration?  Have you monitored how
large they get (if they change size)?  Is there someway to stop and
save the current state at a certain iteration, then restart the
simulation at that point?  If so, how does memory usage change, if
any.

I don't know how useful this is, but hopefully it will at least give
you a start to diagnosing the problem.

James Sherman