Re: gnu plot error on octave

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: gnu plot error on octave
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 09:23:00 -0500

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM, fr33c0untry wrote:
> it's there in ubuntu 12.04 desktop version  'octave 3.6.3-2~ppa1~precise3' .i
> couldnt find optimized blas. i downloaded lapack-3.4.2.tgz which is the
> latest version from  http://www.netlib.org/lapack/ but have no clue how to
> install it.
> i get this error when i try 3d plots:
>
> octave: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3gf: undefined symbol:
> ATL_idamax

This looks like an ATLAS configuration problem. I've seen similar
errors but I can't reproduce this particular one.

First try this, in a terminal:

    sudo update-alternatives --auto liblapack.so.3gf
    sudo update-alternatives --auto libblas.so.3gf

And see if Octave works now. If not, you can completely remove ATLAS
to use Octave with the standard reference BLAS and LAPACK libraries.
Either search for libatlas3gf-base in the software center or

    sudo apt-get purge libatlas3gf-base

And see if that resolves it.

HTH

--