Re: Java package install seems to be ok, but is NOT working.

From: Herdon
Subject: Re: Java package install seems to be ok, but is NOT working.
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 01:05:35 -0800 (PST)

I removed old java installation, and restarted Octave.

PATH has all the time contained this (only java related item in my PATH):
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\bin;

In command prompt:
C:\>javac -version
javac 1.6.0_03

Then in octave:
octave:1> setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_03/")
octave:2>  system ('javac -version 2> nul')
ans = 0
octave:3> more off
octave:4> pkg install -forge -verbose java
mkdir (C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\oct-2)
untar (C:\Documents and Settings\localadmin\java-1.2.9.tar.gz,
C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\oct-2)
For information about changes from previous versions of the java package,
run 'news ("java")'.
octave:5> s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")
warning: the `javaObject' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.

error: `javaObject' undefined near line 5 column 5

Then I realized I did not load the package, but it did not help:
octave:5> pkg load java
octave:6> s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")
warning: the `javaObject' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.

error: `javaObject' undefined near line 6 column 5

So, in principle, everything seems to be ok, but nothing is working. Any
more ideas?