Re: Saving of plots very slow on Windows 7 / MinGW version

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Saving of plots very slow on Windows 7 / MinGW version
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:13:52 -0500

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Chera <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello

I'm using Octave 3.6.1 gcc 4.6.2 under Windows 7

Saving standard 2D Plots  of about 200k datapoints ( by either using print()
or saveas() ) is extremly slow (often takes more than 15min) but eventually
the output file is created properly. During this time Ocatave is completely
unresponsive.

Here the an example plot command, really nothing out of the ordinary:

pressurePlot = figure(1);
semilogy(StahlStahlReferenz.t,StahlStahlReferenz.p,StahlStahlReferenz.tFiltered,StahlStahlReferenz.leakRateFiltered,t,p,tFiltered,leakRateFiltered)
        ylim([1e-10,1]);
        xlabel('Time [min]');
        ylabel('Pressure [mbar]');
        legend('Pressure Reference [mbar]','Leakage Rate Reference
[mbar*l/s]','Pressure [mbar]','Leakage Rate
[mbar*l/s]','location','eastoutside');
        grid minor;

print -dpdf ./Measurement.pdf

Saving seems to be slow independent of what output format is chosen, I tried
ps,eps,pdf,png,svg and more.

Here is the output of the print -debug command

octave:10> print -dpdf -debug ./Measurement.pdf
---- begin C:\Users\ssi\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-2.ps ----
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
<< /Margins [0 0] /.HWMargins [0 0 0 0] /PageOffset [18 180] >>
setpagedevice
%%EOF
----- end C:\Users\ssi\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-2.ps -----
Ghostscript command:
'C:\Users\ssi\Octave\Octave361_gcc462\gs\gs9.04\bin/gswin32c.exe -dQUIET
-dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dEmbedAllFo
nts=true -dOptimize=true -dEPSCrop -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
-sOutputFile=./Measurement.pdf C:\Users\ssi\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-2.ps -'
fltk-pipeline:
'C:\Users\ssi\Octave\Octave361_gcc462\gs\gs9.04\bin/gswin32c.exe -dQUIET
-dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dEmbedAllFonts=tr
ue -dOptimize=true -dEPSCrop -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
-sOutputFile=./Measurement.pdf C:\Users\ssi\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-2.ps - &
rm C:\Users\s
si\AppData\Local\Temp\oct-2.ps'

As far as I can tell everything looks in order, I'm using the ghostscript
executable distributed with this octave version.

Any Idea what might cause this?

It's been a while, but I had a script generating and saving a bunch of plots and the large ones also took forever. What I found is that suppressing display of the plots made a big difference.  also, i think I had to switch to gnuplot, not fltk for this to work.

graphics_toolkit gnuplot;

for ...
generate graph data
figure(1,"visible","off");
fig1=plot(PLOTSTUFF);
saveas(fig1,filename.emf));
close all
endfor

did make a big execution time difference for both the plot generation and saving, which I didn't quite understand. maybe there's a redraw occurring with the save?