Re: Java package install seems to be ok, but is NOT working.

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Java package install seems to be ok, but is NOT working.
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 05:39:22 -0800 (PST)

bmgamm wrote
> Hello,
>
> I'm having the same problem as Herdon. I installed the java package as per
> the instructions on the wiki link Philip posted. The installation seems to
> work but the javaObject error persists when I run the test code on the
> wiki page ("warning: the `javaObject' function is not yet implemented in
> Octave "). I get the same error for several other functions in the java
> package (java_invoke, java_exit, etc.) When I look in the folder where the
> package was installed, "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Octave-3.6.2\share\octave\packages\java-1.2.9," some of the
> functions that were listed on the Octave-Forge website,
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/java/overview.html, are missing. These
> functions include those, such as javaObject, that produced an error. Might
> this be a the source of the problem?  If not, any other solutions would be
> appreciated. Thanks!

Did you load the Java package after installation?
pkg load java

If you did and some Java functions are still lacking, the package is simply
mis-installed.

I don't know how you installed the Java package; what I would do is more or
less along these lines:

1. Check Windows PATH for the <JAVA_HOME>\bin directory
(In my case this is an entry like
.....;C:\Programs\Java\jdk1.6.0_33\bin;....... where ..... stands for rest
of PATH entries); in your case it might be something like ...;C:\Program
Files (X86)\Java\bin;.... )
Note that you might need a 32-bit version of the Java JDK. I'm unsure about
that, I can't check that on my remote 64bit work box now as I cannot login
from Linux lately.
Note also that 64-bit Java versions may have the jvm.dll in .../server, not
.../client. AFAIU this is only relevant on Linux, but again I'm not sure.

2. In a cmd32.exe terminal, do "javac -version"    (without double quotes).
You should get a response from the Java compiler, echoeing its version
number. If not, fix step 1. above

3. Start up Octave, do
setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "/full/path/to/Java-JDK/WITH/FORWARD/SLASHES")

4. Switch off the pager, so that you can copy all messages into an email if
needed:
more off

5. In Octave install the Java package:
pkg install -forge -verbose java
(this will install from Octave-Forge and give some more feedback on the
build process)

6. Check the build messages for a line saying "Java....: yes"   (scroll back
if needed)
If you see something like "Java....: not found" your JAVA_HOME setting is
wrong; fix it in step 3.

The java-1.2.9 package features a file called preinstall.m which should
check for (and as far as possible fix) most of the above issues. If it
doesn't complain I wouldn't know how to fix your problems without a more
detailed report containing:
- Your JAVA_HOME setting (preferrably echoed from Octave: getenv
("JAVA_HOME")
- Your Windows PATH
- The output of
javac  -version
from a cmd32.exe window
- The output (messages) from the pkg install command (see steps 4/5/6)

I'm afraid this is about all I can do to help out.

Philip