Re: SOURCE FILES FOR WIN 7 X64

From: John Frain
Subject: Re: SOURCE FILES FOR WIN 7 X64
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:51:15 +0000

I have sympathy for both sides here. Before I retired I worked for and organisation that added notices to all outgoing emails in two languages.  The It department also banned web-mail on the network and it was not possible to use one of the free email services from the office. One could of course wait till one got home in the evening and then post but this would hardly be optimal.

My own attitude to these messages is to totally ignore them as if they were spam. I would think that most people do so.  We all ignore almost all of the spam mail that we receive. Important communications should not be limited to email anyway.

On 12 January 2013 16:49, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Thomas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 07:17:20PM -0500, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I don't agree. IMO the actual question is: should the poster
> even be allowed to use his/her coporate email to acces public mailing list?

You will be hardly be able to hinder him, will you :)

I didn't mean from the octave point of view, I meant from his/her employer point of view.

> In this particular case, the footer says:
> - if you're not the recipient, you must delete the message; so basically
> everybody should delete it and no-one should answer

I don't know US law; under German law, nobody can force you to delete
the message. Forwarding it however might be a problem, especially if it
is obvious to you that the mail was sent in error and there is some
obvious damage done by forwarding it.

> - you are not allowed to copy or forward the e-mail; so if such e-mail by
> accident contain actual confidential information, because of the presence
> of the footer, could the octave project be held liable for resending the
> email to thousands of people?

Ask a lawyer. Personally, I think that everything done by automatic
means is safe, but willfully forwarding erroneous messages is different.

The point is, no-one on this list would want to take the risk. Using such footer on a public mailing is completely contradictory and I'm in favor of drawing the attention of the sender to this contradiction. There are many ways to get a free non-corporate email address out there on the web, so it IS possible to avoid such footers.

Michael.