Re: text encoding in plots

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: text encoding in plots
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:06:14 -0600

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM, pmts <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi. This is the first time I'm doing plots in octave and I have a problem.

I have an octave script encoded in UTF-8 and I need to make a plot with axes
labeled in Polish. Unfortunately it's giving me problems. The following
lines work fine:

plot(normv);
xlabel("Potęga");
ylabel("Norma");

that is, a gnuplot wxt window appears with correctly labelled axes. However,
when I do "print file.png" I get a lot of "warning: ft_render: skipping
missing glyph for character `�'" and the result looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/wCwVK.png .

Try the "cairo" backends. e.g.:

print ("test1.png", "-dpngcairo", "-F:14")
or
print ("test1.pdf", "-dpdfcairo", "-F:14")
for pdf output.

Dmitri.