Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui fron

From: Wolfgang Lindner
Subject: Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui front end
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:48:19 +0100

Sergei:
|I remind again and again - people use Octave to solve real problems.

so it is.
so let's return to the original question.

hello Stephen,

I recommended to use UPM-Octave Release 6 for Windows.
Some hints:

. you can change the language to english
  just removing the languages directory under the bin directory.
  That should enjoy your students.

. Currently you have to download packages for octave homepage
  and then install it inside UPM using pkg install/load commands
  just like in Octave.

It works along the command lines in the command window:

> s = input("package name: ","s");
> tar([s '.tar'],s);
> gzip([s '.tar']);
> pkg install s.tar.gz
> pkg list

You find complete instuctions and examples e.g. in the
nice online book from Jesper Schmidt Hansen.

Israel Herraiz plans to automate this process using
menus in the next release Octave-UPM-R7-forWindows.

best
Wolfgang