Re: No "square" plotting in 3d any more?!

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: No "square" plotting in 3d any more?!
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:04:33 -0500

On Dec 10, 2012, at 1:45 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Dear Jordi,
>
> Many thanks for Your quick reply.
> On 10/12/12 13:22:19, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> It appears you want axis equal.
>
> I tried
> axis ([0,1,0,1,0,1], "equal");
> but  the resulting images are the same, the z‐axis is squeesed compared to the
> x and y axis (see attached image).
> Any idea what else I could try?
>
>> Also note that the viewpoint you pick for a 3d plot will induce a
>> corresponding distortion in isometric projection.
>
> Hm, I’m not sure what You mean with this. Would this cause the axes to  appear
> squeezed depending on the view port?
> I can get close to what I want by using wxt as a gnuplot term and resizing the
> window in the hight and pressing the replot button but this is  quite  inexact
> and does not effect the output to a file.
>
> Many thanks for looking into this.
> Lynx

Using the gnuplot backend I'm also unable to obtain a axes that has the
appearance of a cube with either "axis square" or "axis equal" (I think the
former is the correct command, but isn't working).

As a work around please try adjusting the plot box aspect ratio manually.

        set (gca (), "plotboxaspectratio", [1 1 1.2])

Ben