using utf8 strings in plots and printing

From: Yury T.
Subject: using utf8 strings in plots and printing
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 21:52:45 -0800 (PST)

Might be an old topic, but I didn't find any comprehensive answer in google.

AFAIU, using utf8 strings in plot windows on linux goes as follows:
1) for gnuplot windows you have to use GNUTERM=wxt and 'set term wxt' (and
possibly recompile gnuplot with wxwidgets)
2) for fltk windows there is no (?) solution

And using utf8 strings in plot printing on linux goes as follows:
1) from gnuplot some print formats allow for correct output of utf8 strings
in plot (pdfcairo), some don't (tiff, png, pdf).
2) same issues when plot printing from fltk

I use 3.6.2 octave and 9.02 ghostscript and 3.61 pstoedit here, in UTF-8
locale on a fairly recent distro.

I've sort of "plugged the hole" in fltk windows utf8 output with a piece of
my own ancient code (I'm going to attach the patch in hope it's of some
value), but wasn't able to influence the plot printing with this
modification. Where do I have to look?