Re: Not getting Poisson Noise in octave

From: Terry Duell
Subject: Re: Not getting Poisson Noise in octave
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:44:14 +1100

Hello Carlo,

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 14:56:00 +1100, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 3 Dec 2012, at 00:05, Terry Duell wrote:

You could also try something like this...

bb = aa + 3/256*randn(h,w);
where h,w are the height, width of aa.

The first approach takes 13.74 sec here, for my little test image. The second takes about 0.01 sec. The results appear quite similar, but I guess it depends on your particular need.

that is equivalent to

bb = imnoise (aa, 'gaussian', 0, sqrt(3/256))

which works the same in Matlab and Octave, the version I proposed
is equivalent to

bb = imnoise (aa, 'poisson')

which is not yet implemented in Octave:

[snip]

OK, then I should not be making any changes to the imnoise code.

Cheers,
--
Regards,
Terry Duell