Re: any suggestions for reading in a XML file?

From: indium
Subject: Re: any suggestions for reading in a XML file?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:31:03 +0000

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 09:13:37AM -0800, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
> indium wrote
> > Dear all,
> >
> > From the io-1.0.20 I understand that reading an xml file is not yet
> > implemented.
> > <snip>
>
> In the io package (Octave-Forge) there's an xmlread and an xmlwrite
> function.
> A bit of a problem is that they are too sparsely documented and -as the
> creator disappeared from sight-hitherto unmaintained.
>
> If you feel sufficiently proficient in C++ you could have a look; and maybe
> maintain those functions?
>
> Philip

Dear Philip, dear others,

I have very little C and no C++ experience. That's why I hoped to do it in
octave itself.

The suggestion of going via python/perl/java seems to me not the way to go,
since it implies a cross-dependence of any changes on the interpreter side
combined with any future Octave changes.

My pragmatic approach at the moment is to grep/awk out the pieces that I want
and write out temporary files that are easily readable inside octave. Those
tools are less prone to fail due to version changes than interpreters like
perl/python/java.

If I manage to solve my problem on the structure (as in my original post), then
I'll post it here.

I'm sorry not to be able to contribute on the C++ level.