Re: Very slow ploting with gnu plot (windows)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Very slow ploting with gnu plot (windows)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:56:58 -0500

On Nov 23, 2012, at 3:17 AM, Froebe, Matej wrote:

> > Some anti-virus program scanning the temp file that octave is making for
> > gnuplot?
>
> I disabled the anti-virus program, but I still get the same behavior.
>

> >Please try the example I gave earlier.  That will allow us to determine what
> >us responsible.
>
> Octave returns the following. I didn't check the warnings yet.
>
> warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
> Some output formats are not available.
> gnuplot_eps =  2.0150
> gnuplot_png =  1.0620
> Der Befehl "C:\Programme\MiKTeX" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder
> konnte nicht gefunden werden.
> fltk_eps =  1.1250
> fltk_png =  0.54600
>

> >I suspect font loading…    …However, this should only be done once.
>
> Like I said, it doesn’t happen just once and it only happens for large data.
> But it looks it could be a reason for the behavior that Jake described.

You can ignore the warnings for now.

The tic/toc commands are giving results are a slower than I'm used to.  When I
run the same commands I see similar results the first time. However, if I run
the commands as below, then the timing is faster and the

tic (); print test.eps; gnuplot_eps = toc ();
tic (); print test.eps; gnuplot_eps = toc ()
tic (); print test.png; gnuplot_png = toc ();
tic (); print test.png; gnuplot_png = toc ()

The eps is produced in about 0.1 sec and the png in about 0.4 sec.  As your
fltk_png is about 0.5 sec, I expect you'll get similar results.

Can you give us an example where the timing is slow?

Ben