Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?

From: Dimitri Maziuk
Subject: Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:12:47 -0600

On 11/20/2012 6:23 AM, Francesco Potortì wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden
wrote:

I heartily encourage you to abandon this piece of shit (expletive
restored) language. No sarcasm. I don't think Matlab is a very good
language. I work on Octave only so that all that free Matlab code out
there can also have a free interpreter, not because I want to promote
Matlab usage.

I wasn't referring to the language, actually, I was referring to matlab script I was trying to run in octave. The language, esp. if you cut it back to the original "numbers only" version, is no worse than many. Well, not much worse.

Well, that seems quite incongruent. I thought it was great that you pushed
through with the broadcasting and defended it. If you really think that all
octave is good for is merely running code intended for Matlab, you maybe
should reevaluate whether you are harming people (like me) that greatly
prefer to use octave over Matlab or IDL because of octave's merits.

If you're writing new stuff and you know (any) programming in comp. sci. sense, you should do yourself a favour and writ in python/scipy.

Having Octave barf on something on which Matlab barfs is a definite
plus.  As Jordi has already said, if someone wants an extension of the
Matlab language implemented in Octave, they are free to propose patches.

What, you mean like barf on "endif" and "endfor" and double quotes?

Dima