Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:32:43 -0500

On 19 November 2012 12:25, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 19 November 2012 12:00, Judd Storrs <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > So, I guess we're back to square one. Octave needs a hash-table
>> > datatype. We
>> > used to have a workable one, but it's now gone.
>>
>> Again, we've never had hash tables. If you want to treat struct as an
>> associative array, it would require more work.
>

> I think you mean that the documentation never consistently said we had or
> didn't have hash table functionality but that we actually did have easily
> discoverable and viable hash tables via setfield() and getfield()?

A hash table requires *hashing*. C++'s std::map doesn't hash. It's
just a minor technical point. A hash table isn't synonymous with
associative arrays.

A bug was uncovered, a bug was patched. If you would like to patch it
in a different way, I have already offered several possible ways.

- Jordi G. H.