Re: Problem with installation of Octave 3.6.2 MinGW

From: nitnit
Subject: Re: Problem with installation of Octave 3.6.2 MinGW
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 04:20:01 -0800 (PST)

Dan Rowe wrote
> I am presently in the process of installing
> Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2_20120609.7z.
> My computer is equipped with windows 7 and Intel Celeron processor..
> Following instruction on the Octave-Force site, I created the
> directory folder unzipped the file using 7zip to C: drive  I copied
> the shortcuts folders to my documents folder as instructed.  My
> problem is with editing properties in shortcut folders.  In the Octave
> 3.6.2_gcc4.6.2 folder, I edited properties and set the target to
> <Install Dir>
> \bin\octave.exe.  In Start in, I entered
> <Install
> dir>
> \share\octave\3.6.2\imagelib\octave-logo.icoasanicon (not sure if
> this logo.icoasanicon entry is correct!}
>
> In the Octave 3.6.2_gcc4.6.2 doc Ink, properties was also edited and
> target was set to
> <Install dir>
> \doc\octave.  In Start in I entered
> <Install dir>
> \share\octave\3.6.2\imagelib\octave-logo.icoasanicon
> (again not sure if this last part is correct!).
>
> The result has been folder
> C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\bin\octave.exe  is not valid.  Make
> sure tha the folder exist and that the path is correct.  This was also
> the response provided after the imputs in the Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2 doc
> lnk were completed.

Assuming you have unziped the the directory structure to be under C:\Octave
such that if you will use windows explorer to this directory yo will see the
main directory:

C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2

and under that you will see
C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\bin
C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\doc
... and all other subdirs

Please verify with your windows explorer that you actually have such
directories structure !

In such case, you have to set the shortcut (octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2.lnk)
properties as following:

Target: C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\bin\octave.exe
Start in: C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\bin

and after you click 'Change Icon...'

Look for icons in this file:
C:\Octave\Octave3.6.2_gcc4.6.2\share\octave\3.6.2\imagelib\octave-logo.ico

Don't forget to click the 'Apply' button before you close the properties
dialog.

Nitzan