Re: doc won't work

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: doc won't work
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 13:15:43 -0700

On 11/15/12 11:43 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2012, at 12:47 PM, Robert Gragg wrote:

>>> Where did you get your copy of Octave from?
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Re where I got my copy of Octave:
>> I read a blog that said, "Octave Forge now packages Octave.app (and
>> Gnuplot.app) into drag-and-drop installers."
>> Very easy.  I'm not using any package manager.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Yes, it is easy, but doesn't work on MacOS 10.6 or higher without some
> "tweaks".  Also the print() and doc() functions don't work.
>
>       http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Installing_a_MacOS_X_Bundle
>
> We presently don't have a reliable drag-n-drop installation that is fully
> functional, but are working on one.
>
>       http://wiki.octave.org/Create_a_MacOS_X_App_Bundle_Using_MacPorts
>
> Using a package manager is recommended.
>
>       http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_MacOS_X#Package_Managers
>
> Ben

For Fink's Octave setup (in case the question comes up later, too), the
doc() function requires installing the unversioned "octave" or
"octave-atlas" or "octave-ref" package.

Basically, almost anything that is used at run-time which doesn't have a
version somewhere in the file path goes there, including:

* the Info docs, and therefore the internal documentation system
* the "octave" executable

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison