Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?

From: Yury T.
Subject: Re: equivalent for C-style init: structname varname[] = {...} ?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:53:26 -0800 (PST)

I would suggest to explain the data types in docs with reference to some
established nomenclature. I can't suggest any open source/open access
elementary book at the moment, though. David Mackay's
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/itila/book.html looks a bit too
complex (as in intricate) for this.

If it's any help, just off the top of my head and based on what we have on
hand here (in Russian, anyway):
Arrays and any structs (in C sense) and any hash trees and such are all
'complex data types' (complex as in complex number, consisting of many
parts) as opposed to 'elementary or simple data types' (undivisible, but
strings not included! see below). Complex types have to have at least one
addressing (searching, indexing) method, allowing to access any part of the
(complex) type. A practical implementation of complex type (in progr. lang.)
also requires syntax conventions to (1) construct an instance ('declare
variable') and (2) fill an instance ('initialise/assign variable'). Also, in
the era of C ubiquity a special reference to the (Octave) strings (which
might or might not be perceived as an arrays of chars) and their relation to
the (Octave) complex types is needed.