Re: Color console - is this possible in near future?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Color console - is this possible in near future?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 09:16:31 -0500

On 9 November 2012 08:17, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> interesting.... running the MinGW 3.6.2 octave-forge package I get:
>
> octave:1> fprintf(1, [char(27), ...
>
>>           '[31mThis is a test.', ...
>>            char(27), ...
>>           '[36m Here another color.', ...
>>            char(27), ...
>>           '[37;41;1m Now is background color and white bold.', ...
>>            char(27), ...
>>           '[0m\n']);
>
> ←[31mThis is a test.←[36m Here another color.←[37;41;1m Now is background
> color and white bold.←[0m
> <ar(27),'[37;41;1m Now is background color and white
> bold.',char(27),'[0m\n']);
>
> all in black and white. is that just a function of the console or default
> config that this version uses? running it from the Windows cmd shell or
> Windows Powershell does the same.

This is a problem with ANSI colour codes: they just don't work on
Windows. cmd.exe is a very limited shell, if you ask me, and I guess
Powershell inherits some of its limitation.

This lack of colour codes is one reason why e.g. Mercurial disables
the colour extension by default: it just doesn't work on Windows.

- Jordi G. H.