Re: Running Octave from Fink?

From: Ev Yemini
Subject: Re: Running Octave from Fink?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:39:29 +0000

So, since you've asked ...

In my own software (admittedly of a much smaller scale) I use terminal
output that looks like:
"Performing step 3/10"

To ensure the user understands how things are progressing.

With ATLAS, I repeatedly saw the line:
"Read in L1 Cache size as = 32KB"

I don't know how frequently other people replace their CPUs during the
install but, in my case, I'd have to rip open my laptop and rip it off
the motherboard, while everything's running. So, when I see this line
more than once, I'm worried.

At some point I saw a small message amongst the terminal output that read:
"BEGIN STAGE 2-3-2"

Googling to see how many stages exist (couldn't seem to find it in the
online ATLAS manual) I found I had a few more to go. Came back a few
hours later to see:
"BEGIN STAGE 2-2-1"

Now, I know the stages were progressing before because we had hit
2-4-1 at some point in time. Somehow we swung around to the beginning
again. This looks exactly like a long infinite loop.

Apparently I'm in good company because, when I googled to see if other
people had encountered issues, there were several cases where people
had quit the install, presuming it had gotten stuck, and then
restarted it only to learn that indeed, the install is a long
repetitive process.

Believe me, despite this long rambling tale of my own whinging, I
greatly appreciate all the hard work that went into ATLAS. But, would
it kill to let the user know roughly where they are in the 5+ hour
install process? A simple note like "performing step 14/1000000000"
would be quite useful. That said, it's done, the programmers who came
up with it are clearly amazing and, using this free software, I have
no right whatsoever to complain.

Many thanks,
Ev