Re: error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Oct

From: marco atzeri
Subject: Re: error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's index type -- trying to return to prompt
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:53:45 +0100

On 11/2/2012 7:25 PM, japindado wrote:
This topic has been discussed before, but I have read all of the threads and
none of them have the answer to my issue, so I am posting here hoping
someone can help...  Basically, Octave will not allow the total memory
consumed by all variables to exceed ~1.5GB...  My machine runs Windows7
Enterprise N 64-bit on an Intel i7 with 9GB RAM. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

I am almost sure the windows version is a 32bit version,
as such no more than 2GB are available for programs and data.

To overcome that limits you need a 64bit version, that I suspect
is available only on some Linux/Unix distro

Here is my output/code:

octave:107> ver;memtest()
GNU Octave Version 3.6.1
GNU Octave License: GNU General Public License
Operating System: unknown
no packages installed.
iter1,mem16,idx2
iter24,mem134217728,idx16777216
iter25,mem268435456,idx33554432
error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's
index type -- trying to return to prompt
octave:107>
==============
function memtest()
clear;
tst=[];
i=0;
while(1)
        i=i+1;
        tst=[ones(1,2^i)];
        fprintf("iter%d,mem%d,idx%d\n",i,sizeof(tst),length(tst));
        fflush(stdout);
end

why do you need more than 1.5 GB data ?