error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave'

From: japindado
Subject: error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's index type -- trying to return to prompt
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 11:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

This topic has been discussed before, but I have read all of the threads and
none of them have the answer to my issue, so I am posting here hoping
someone can help...  Basically, Octave will not allow the total memory
consumed by all variables to exceed ~1.5GB...  My machine runs Windows7
Enterprise N 64-bit on an Intel i7 with 9GB RAM. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Here is my output/code:

octave:107> ver;memtest()
GNU Octave Version 3.6.1
GNU Octave License: GNU General Public License
Operating System: unknown
no packages installed.
iter1,mem16,idx2
iter2,mem32,idx4
iter3,mem64,idx8
iter4,mem128,idx16
iter5,mem256,idx32
iter6,mem512,idx64
iter7,mem1024,idx128
iter8,mem2048,idx256
iter9,mem4096,idx512
iter10,mem8192,idx1024
iter11,mem16384,idx2048
iter12,mem32768,idx4096
iter13,mem65536,idx8192
iter14,mem131072,idx16384
iter15,mem262144,idx32768
iter16,mem524288,idx65536
iter17,mem1048576,idx131072
iter18,mem2097152,idx262144
iter19,mem4194304,idx524288
iter20,mem8388608,idx1048576
iter21,mem16777216,idx2097152
iter22,mem33554432,idx4194304
iter23,mem67108864,idx8388608
iter24,mem134217728,idx16777216
iter25,mem268435456,idx33554432
error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's
index type -- trying to return to prompt
octave:107>
==============
function memtest()
clear;
tst=[];
i=0;
while(1)
        i=i+1;
        tst=[ones(1,2^i)];
        fprintf("iter%d,mem%d,idx%d\n",i,sizeof(tst),length(tst));
        fflush(stdout);
end