Re: limiting the range of solutions with fsolve

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: limiting the range of solutions with fsolve
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:40:27 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

It is not an Octave question, it's a general math question.

You need to solve

F(x1, x2, x3) = 0;

Convert your task to solving

F(f(X1), f(X2), f(X3)) = 0;

and choose the 'f' function such that

f(+Inf) == 1
f(-Inf) == -1
.

Then, having found a solution in terms of unconstrained X1, X2, X3 get back to
your original variables:

x1 = f(X1);
x2 = f(X2);
x3 = f(X3);
.

A trivial choice for 'f' is for you case is:

f(X) = 2 * atan(X) / pi
.

Regards,
  Sergei.