function still 'missing' even after package installation

From: mrpurple
Subject: function still 'missing' even after package installation
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 20:15:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I got
warning: the `fminsearch' function is not yet implemented in Octave

Please read `http://www.octave.org/missing.html' to learn how you can
contribute missing functionality.
So I did
pkg install -forge optim
and got
warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_1'
warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_2'
warning: gen_doc_cache: unusable help text found in file 'test_d2_min_3'
For information about changes from previous versions of the optim package,
run 'news ("optim")'.
Working off the assumption that I could carry on despite the warnings I
tried running my work again and still got:
error: `fminsearch' undefined near line 27 column 15
I tried downloading the tarball and pkg installing manually but got the same
exact problem.
Now I'm stuck: I need to install a dependancy but installing the dependancy
doesnt solve my dependancy.
I dont even know where to start looking.