Re: Plot doesn't work in run-octave mode on Gnu Emacs 24.2 with Octave 3

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Plot doesn't work in run-octave mode on Gnu Emacs 24.2 with Octave 3.6.2 VS2010 build on Windows XP 32-bit
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:39:07 -0400

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I have Gnu Emacs 24.2 and I'm doing run-octave for Octave 3.6.2 Visual Studio 2010 build on Windows XP 32-bit.

Octave runs plot(1:10) but doesn’t pop up a window.  This is with QT graphics.  I tried changing graphics to gnuplot or fxlt and that doesn’t help

If I run the same Octave.exe outside of Gnu Emacs and issue the same plot command, it pops up a window with the plot, no problem.

Eli Zaretski from address@hidden had this idea:

Does Octave need to see that its input is coming from a console, to be able to pop up the window and plot?  If so, that's the reason: on Windows, Emacs subprocesses are run through a pipe, not a pty as on Unix.

Yes, that's most probably the problem. FLTK and Qt backend uses the readline event loop to run events and/or interact with the graphics backend. If readline is not used, like when running octave over pipes, those graphics backend won't work. You may force readline usage with the flags: --line-editing -i

Michael.