Re: Sandy Bridge

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: Sandy Bridge
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 17:43:48 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message -----

I am not sure that the situation is that straightforward.

For example, it is known that RAM accesses are much slower than cache ones. And
if the CPU HW sees too many RAM accesses it may not speed up the CPU - it will
still be waiting for data from RAM.

If OTOH there are a lot of cache accesses, it makes for the CPU sense to work
faster.

Cache <-> RAM may be dependent on compiler optimizations - compilers are often
aware of cache friendliness.

And, specifically, ATLAS is built in cache friendliness awareness mode.

Regards,
  Sergei.