Re: Internal Precision - Symbolic

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: Internal Precision - Symbolic
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 17:55:21 +0200

Hi,

On 21/10/12 17:40, EduardoHenrique wrote:
Thanks for your answer.

I know it would be easier to go to a symbolic software. But I've my scripts
all set in Octave. Unfortunately Maxima programming language differs a lot
of Octave/Matlab/Scilab and isn't "comfortable".

The syntax of maxima is certainly different from the one used in octave. I wouldn't call it "uncomfortable". It serves a different purpose and for that one it's probably better suited than octave's.

It seems that Matlab offers this tool (VPA), but it happen to use Maple
(comercial symbolic tool) to do the symbolic calculations. Isn't there a way
that Octave could be integrated with Maxima? Or is there a numerical
software which language is similar to Octave/Matlab and supports this
variable precision arithmetic?

If I remember right, Matlab uses a software called Mupad for symbolic computations. Mupad used to be a standalone software package for symbolic computations. Mathworks bought the company that developed it years ago and integrated into the symbolic math toolbox. See http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MuPAD

Maybe you could take a look at Sage (http://www.sagemath.org/) It combines several packages for numerical as well as symbolic computations under a single frontend. As far as I know, you can call octave as well as maxima from it. But be warned, the thing is very large in terms of necessary disk space.

If not, I was thinking about one solution to my problem, see if you agree:
Suppose I want to use VPA in every calculation in Octave. Would it be
possible to force Octave to execute a script after every calculation it
does? If so, I could force him to eliminate any digits beyond the ones I
want. The doubt is: where (in the source
code) can I add the code to force it to execute a function after any
evaluation it does?

I'm not familiar enough with octave's source code but I doubt anything like this is possible.

Thanks for your help!