Machine learning Case study in forensic computing domain

From: Ambikesh Jayal
Subject: Machine learning Case study in forensic computing domain
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:51:34 +0100

Hi,

I have recently started teaching a university course, to forensic computing students, which will introduce students to data mining and machine learning concepts.

I am looking for case studies, possibly real world, in forensic domain that will entice forensic computing students and demonstrate the usefulness of machine learning in forensics. Does anyone know of any such case studies?

Students should be able to replicate the case study, so it should have some public corpus data and R code to implement the machine learning approach.

I think a case study to determine the authorship of document using machine learning would be good. The other case study could a regression model to detect fake currency based on size, weight and other attributes of a note.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Kind Regards,

Dr Ambikesh Jayal,
Lecturer,