about reading large text files (> 10 GB) into an array

From: address@hidden
Subject: about reading large text files (> 10 GB) into an array
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:00:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Everyone,
I have a very large text file (say, 10 GB) each line of which contains a float-point number. Can I read all the numbers in this file into an array in Octave? I tried textread() but it complains something about "out of bound" array, which I think may suggest Octave's incapability of handling large arrays.
So, is there a way to read all the 10 GB numbers into an array in Octave?

Thanks,
Tom