octave to (la)tex conversion

From: Leo Butler
Subject: octave to (la)tex conversion
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 19:01:37 -0400

Maxima has the function 'tex' that lets one transform an object in
Maxima to a string of tex code. This is quite useful: an emacs mode
(imaxima) uses this to create a front end that looks really
professional; plus, with mathjax, it can be rolled into a nice web-based
frontend.

Is there anything similar in Octave?

----------
What I have in mind is the following application: I am writing course
notes that have a lot of numerical examples in them. With \write18, I
can put these inside a LaTeX file and have Octave do the computations. I
would like to have Octave run a hook before quitting to dump all of the
user-defined variables into a tex file as tex macros. It doesn't need to
be fancy, something like

\def\octavex#1{\ifnum#1=1{1}\else\ifnum#1=2{2}\else\relax\fi\fi}

IPC on the cheap, if you like. It seems like someone might have already
written something like this.

Leo