Re: Beginning with Octave App for iPad

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Beginning with Octave App for iPad
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 08:43:46 -0400

On 27 September 2012 23:33, Guerin Fritzlen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have installed my Octave app. Now I need to learn how to use it.
> When I hit the calculator it gives an error.

Error messages are meaningful. Please disclose them.

> I have signed up for a week in the cloud to try it out.

The cloud is a nebulous concept:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

> I know Matlab well but would prefer to move to Octave. Is there a
> basic instruction manual for a real beginner? Thanks!

I suppose you mean this?

    http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/octave-cloud/id508953667?mt=8

Hmm... the iPad is hostile to GPLv3 applications, because of its
Tivoisation. I'm not sure what this app is doing, but if it's not
respecting Octave's copyleft, it should be taken down.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization#GPLv3

If it is simply a proprietary application that is contacting Octave
over the network, then it's not violating Octave's copyleft, although
this has other problems, as you apparently are noticing. It just
doesn't work, and you being hold hostage to whatever the person
running the server software wants to happen.

At any rate, there is not much of anyone in this help list can do for
you. We didn't create Octave for iPad and I for one certainly do not
endorse using such a restrictive jail as an iPad's walled gardens. I
suggest you use Octave on a free system instead.

- Jordi G. H.