Re: pdflatex + gnuplot?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: pdflatex + gnuplot?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:12:32 -0400

On Sep 26, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Leo Butler wrote:

> I am using octave 3.6.2 and gnuplot 4.6.0, both from debian testing. The
> documentation for print states
>
> ,----
> |          `pdflatex'
> |                Generate a LaTeX (or TeX) file for labels, and eps/ps/pdf
> |                for graphics.  The file produced by `epslatexstandalone'
> |                can be processed directly by LaTeX.  The other formats
> |                are intended to be included in a LaTeX (or TeX)
> |                document.  The `tex' device is the same as the
> |                `epslatex' device.  The `pdflatex' device is only
> |                available for the FLTK graphics toolkit.
> `----
>
> The cairolatex terminal is capable of generating nice pdf/eps+latex
> files, with the only change in code being eps -> pdf.
>
> I realize that octave provides an abstraction layer above gnuplot/fltk,
> but perhaps there is some really easy way to implement this in octave as
> it stands without patching code? Am I right- or wrong-headed?
>
> Leo

You can use the drawnow() function to output a gnuplot plot-stream and then
modify the plot-stream to use the cairolatex.  I haven't tested the
instructions below, so some modification may be needed.

(1) Produce your plot
(2) drawnow ("x11", "/dev/null", false, "plotstream.gp")
(3) Edit plotstream.gp and change "set term x11..." to "set term cairolatex
...", also specify a new output file.
(4) Run gnuplot and load plotstream.gp

Ben