Re: need example for fisheye effect on images

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: need example for fisheye effect on images
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:32:58 -0400

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Andy Buckle <address@hidden> wrote:
On 21 September 2012 14:10, paiuia <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi
> i'm a newbie
> I'm trying to distort images with "fisheye lens" effect
> Any idea where i can find examples?
> I need to find how read pixels of gif/png/bmp and from dxf/3ds files to
> apply effects on them.

The internet?

Here are some http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

They are probably jpg, but should not be too hard to convert.

--
/* andy buckle */

so, sounds like you want to do multiple things

1 - read in a normal image
2 - distort the image using the fisheye effect
3 - (guessing) save/export the distorted image

so:
1&3 - check out the Octave Manual, Chapter 32 - Image Processing
specifically, you'll want to look at the first section on Loading and Saving an image (mainly the imread and imwrite functions)

"A color image is returned as an MxNx3 matrix. Gray-level and black-and-white images are of size MxN. The color depth of the image determines the numeric class of the output."

2 - once you load the image, you can apply whatever mathematical manipulations you want with that image. The end of the Wikipedia article any mentioned actually lists a few of the possible fisheye transforms. I have no experience in them, so not sure about any specific implementations. The intro to the chapter in the Manual does give a very simple 'smoothing function' example to show one way you can manipulate an image.

note: I don't think there's a straightforward dxf/3ds import method.

nickj