Processing discontinuous series

From: Hernan
Subject: Processing discontinuous series
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:23:38 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Octave Users,
I need your advice regarding the processing a long temporal data series with
several gaps and/or changes in the sampling schedule (hourly and 3-hourly
not regularly distributed meteorological data along 10 years).
Is Octave the appropiate tool for such non regular series ?
Considering that my programming skills are limited, should be better to use
a worksheet instead of Octave (or R) ?
Thank you very much in advance.
Hernán