Re: Parallelization with live stream of data

From: Jose
Subject: Re: Parallelization with live stream of data
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 00:05:28 +0300

On 16/09/12 20:17, Olaf Till wrote:

Jose, you should always CC the list so that others can comment ...

I ment to, but pressed reply blindly and did not check the recipients, sorry (and thanks for forwarding the message to the list).

For a realtime task, it might be better to do the scheduling manually
(but thats not quite easy).

There is an openmpi_ext package, but I'm not the right person to
comment on this.

Alternatively, one can use Octaves fork(), waitpid(), pipe(), and
close() functions. The packages 'general' and 'parallel' both provide
functions for sending and receiving Octave variables over pipes
(fsave()/fload() and __bw_psend__()/__bw_prcv__(), respectively). They
require the additional use of Octaves fflush(). Both packages provide
a wrapper around Unix' _exit for child termination (__exit__() and
__internal_exit__(), respectively). The package 'parallel' also
provides a function select(), a wrapper around Unix' select. All these
together allow parallelization with Octave without writing C or C++
code.

The latter way, and possibly also the former (if it should be feasible
for multicore/single-machine), require you to write a scheduler.

Probably I will try going with the parallel package, as it seems to provide a quite comfortable API for high level remote evaluations. I will have to, as you suggest, create my own scheduler.

Thanks again for the comments.
Jose