inputname and function(cell{:})

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: inputname and function(cell{:})
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:30:47 +0200

Dear Octave Community

I'm preparing multiplot-capable plotting functions for the control package. I
ran into a problem which boils down to the code in the attached example. I'd
like to get the inputnames of all arguments of a function "testfun".

Currently, with

        ret1 = testfun (arg1, arg2, arg3)

nargin is 3 and inputname ranges from 1 to 3.
But with

        ret2 = testfun (args{:})

nargin is still 3 but only inputname(1) exists while inputname(2) and
inputname(3) give errors. Therefore I must find an alternative to inputname or
an alternative to nargin which counts input arguments the same way as inputname
does. Do you know how to circumvent this problem?

Thanks for any help and best regards,
Lukas