Different plot behavior in octave and gnuplot

From: emooshag
Subject: Different plot behavior in octave and gnuplot
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 09:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All,
I just installed octave on my Mac (OS 10.6.8) using Homebrew. I'm trying to
use the gnuplot from octave but getting different behavior than from gnuplot
itself.

>From gnuplot, plot sin(x) gives a red sine wave, as expected, but from
octave, the same command gives an empty figure.  Likewise, in gnuplot, "plot
(5)", for example, gives a red horizontal line at y = 5, as expected, but
from octave it gives an empty figure.  However, if I do something like:

octave> x = 1:100;
octave> plot (x)

The I get a visible blue diagonal line.

Possibly useful info:
gnuplot is set to x11 term type.

octave: system ("which gnuplot")
/usr/local/bin/gnuplot
ans = 0

terminal:~$ which gnuplot
/usr/local/bin/gnuplot

gnuplot> show loadpath
loadpath is empty
        gnuplotrc is read from /usr/local/Cellar/gnuplot/4.6.0/share/gnuplot/4.6
        no XAPPLRESDIR found in the environment,
            falling back to "/etc/X11/app-defaults/"

I assume that octave is not getting the some default parameters (line
colors, weights, etc.) that are being used when i'm in gnuplot but cannot
figure out how to get octave to use them too. I realize I can probably
change the octave behavior setting parameters .octaverc, but it seems like
that shouldn't be necessary. How do I point to the gnuplot settings?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric