Re: How to remove the redundant print when use help()?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: How to remove the redundant print when use help()?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 09:18:43 -0500

>> Whenever I call help(), I got the following output. It is annoying. Is
>> there a way to disable it? Thanks!
>
> help suppress_verbose_help_message

There are also some empty line after the help (noted by ##). Is there
a way to remove them as well? Thanks!

/tmp$ cat test.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

/opt/local/bin/octave -q << EOF
help('help')
EOF

/tmp$ cat ~/.octave
.octave_hist  .octaverc
/tmp$ cat ~/.octaverc
suppress_verbose_help_message(1)
/tmp$ ./test.sh
`help' is a function from the file /opt/local/share/octave/3.2.4/m/help/help.m

 -- Command: help NAME
     Display the help text for NAME.  If invoked without any arguments,
     `help' prints a list of all the available operators and functions.

     For example, the command `help help' prints a short message
     describing the `help' command.

     The help command can give you information about operators, but not
     the comma and semicolons that are used as command separators.  To
     get help for those, you must type `help comma' or `help semicolon'.

     See also: doc, lookfor, which ##empty lines below.

/tmp$

--
Regards,
Peng