Re: fft and wavelets

From: Peter L. Soendergaard
Subject: Re: fft and wavelets
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:48:05 +0200

On 2012-08-23 11:32, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
I can use fft to get the, frequencies, phases and magnitude of a loaded 1 second audio
file of person saying "ahhhh" and recreate it.
What I'm trying to do now is find out where each of those frequencies begin and
where they stop in the 1 second audio file

Example:100hz starts at .23seconds to .34seconds,
104.34hz starts at .35seconds and ends at .37seconds.

Can fft's do this or do I need to shift my whole program to use wavelets?  Also
are there any wavelet examples in octave that show how do this?
No, fft cannot do this because it does not simultaneously encode time and frequency information. Wavelets will solve you problem, but it is perhaps a little overkill

A spectrogram should solve your problem. Call the "specgram" command, it is in the "signal" package, it will should a nice image.

You can also install LTFAT (google it) and call the "sgram" command.

Cheers,
Peter.