Re: makeinfo

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: makeinfo
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:09:20 -0400

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Carnë Draug wrote:
> On 10 August 2012 12:53, Rita <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Would it make sense to have a ./configure flag for texinfo?  While doing
>> make make and in .DOCSTRINGs it fails to find my makeinfo since its
>> installed in a separate location.  Make assumes is in the standard location
>>
>> ANy thoughts?

There is a MAKEINFO variable you can pass to configure or make with
the full path to the makeinfo program. So for your setup, either

  make MAKEINFO=/software/whatever/makeinfo

or

  export MAKEINFO=/software/whatever/makeinfo
  ./configure ...

should work. I have not verified either but both should be equivalent.

> Actually, the current version of octave doesn't even check if it's
> installed. See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36903 This has already
> been patched but I'm not sure if it allows to configure the path (I'd
> assume that if it's somewhere on the path, it would find it though).

Yep, only because Octave requires it while GNU typically treats it as
an optional maintainer-only tool. But the MAKEINFO variable has always
been there.

--
mike