Clearing graphics - missing commands?

From: Charles Bradshaw
Subject: Clearing graphics - missing commands?
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 14:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

I'm doing repeated simple plots like this:
  x=[...];
  y=[...]; # x and y change between calls
  handle=plot(x,y,"3-o","markersize",2);

Axes are previously initialises like this:
  clf();
  h=plot(0,0,"3-o","markersize",2);
  axis([-2,7,-2,2],'square');
  grid('on');
  hold('on');

The application is a mechanism simulator and requires each 'line' to be
erased before the next is plotted. Ideally, this should be as fast as
possible and flicker free. I see in the manual the command cla(handle) where
handle is returned from plot. However when I execute cla octave issues:

  error: `cla' undefined near line 26 column 1

As evidenced by the command:

  stuf==get(handle)
  stuf =
  {
    tag =
    type = line
  }

handle is indeed a pointer to the most recently plotted line. I also tried
delete(handle) which just deletes the local copy and has no effect on the
graphics.

I'm running octave 3.0.0 and I think I'm using gnuplot, although I also have
fltk installed, but the command graphics_toolkit is missing, although
described in the manual.

Is there another way to delete the previous drawn line without
re-initialising the axes?