Re: Octave and the new Mountain Lion Operating System

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave and the new Mountain Lion Operating System
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:36:35 -0400

On Jul 27, 2012, at 1:41 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Hey, Octave.  I am having a great time with Octave as a learning tool for Dr.
> Andrew Ng's Machine Learning class through coursera.org.  Only problem is
> though, I upgraded my iMac OS to Mountain Lion two days ago and now Octave is
> n/s.
>
> Any fixes would be greatly appreciated.

What version of Octave were you running, and how did you install Octave? Did
you use a package manager like Fink, MacPorts, or Homebrew?

If you've installed one of the old application bundles for Octave from
SourceForge, they *may* no longer work correctly due to Apple no longer
including X11 with MacOS 10.8.

Fink, MacPorts, and Homebrew all have an updates out for Mountain Lion.
Unfortunately, Mountain Lion no longer includes the X11 app. This is something
that MacPorts and Fink are able to provide, but I'm not sure about Homebrew.

The Fink version of Octave is current (3.6.2).  MacPorts provides an "octave"
port for 3.2.4 and and "octave-devel" port for 3.4.3.  Since MacPort's versions
are dated, I recommend you install a new Octave using Fink.

Ben