readdir to dir

From: Martin Weiser
Subject: readdir to dir
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:11:52 +0200

Hello,
I am sorry for posting question that could be answered by reading the
manual, but I need a quick solution and I was not successful in googling
ready-made solution.

I need to convert my call of readdir:
 files = readdir(adresar_vstup)(3 :end);

such as Matlab understands that (the script user uses Matlab).
First, I did:

something = readdir(adresar_vstup);
files = something(3:end);

But it was not enough as Matlab (I do not have it, The script user
reported it) apparently does not have function readdir.
Would anybody be so kind and post me the solution?
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Martin Weiser