Re: [OctDev] Montreal octave conference (non technical) report

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Montreal octave conference (non technical) report
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:53:11 +0200

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 21 July 2012 10:59, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:
>> WOW What a nice (and intelligent) group of people. I learnt lost of
>> things! and enjoyed many conversations. The Google Summer of Code
>> student are exceptional students, and their contribution to Octave
>> is great! I am totally impressed and hopefully will make it to the
>> next conference.
>
> I am glad you thought so. I was very pleased to meet you and work with
> you during OctConf 2012.
>
>> PS Add your thoughts to this thread so we can use this as a starting
>> point for planning the next one.
>
> We can also do this on the wiki. I would be interested if other people
> shared their thoughts too, by whatever means they prefer.
>
>> PPS Jordie will be giving us a more technical overview of the
>> conference.
>
> Here it is:
>
>     http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/octconf-2012-report/
>
> For the moment, it is also available on Planet Octave:
>
>     http://planet.octave.org/
>
> HTH,
> - Jordi G. H.

Hi all,

It was really a great experience. Embodying the IRC nicknames was very
motivating for me :D .

On the coding side, the opportunity to talk directly to "great
masters" was extremely useful. I am looking forward to start
contributing to core, now with more confidence. I left with the
sensation that there is a lot going on and that in short time GNU
Octave will become not just "a matlab clone".

If OF is upgraded ad planned (merged with Agora) then the chances of
increasing our users in specific domains are really high. That could
mean an increase ion the number of developers and contributors.
Similarly, the GUI can increase the affinity with young users who are
deterred by the command line.

Thank you very much for the organization of the Conference.

Looking forward to the next one.

JPi

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal