Using invfreqz() without knowing the phase response?

From: OCuanachain, Oisin (Oisin)
Subject: Using invfreqz() without knowing the phase response?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:39:40 -0400

Hi,

I would like to use invfreqz() to create a digital filter [b(z),a(z)] as a
model approximating some empirical data. The problem is that I only have the
amplitude response of the system not the phase response. This shouldn't really
be a problem as I am only interested in the amplitude response however to apply
invfreqz() I need a phase response. Eg
Amplitude response = A(w)
Phase response     = phi(w)
Then
H                  = A(w).*exp(-1*j*phi(w))
Then [b(Z), a(z)] = invfreqz(H,w);

So what I really want to know is, what is an 'easy' dummy phase response I can
use for phi(w) which will maximize the probability of invfreqz generating
digital coefficients which will match my desired amplitude response well ?  Or
to put it another way what phi(w) can I use to ensure that invfreqz() doesn't
run into problems.

I realise I could probably work this out myself by reading the source code for
invfreqz() to see exactly what algorithm it uses, but if someone else already
knows the answer it would save me the trouble :)

Thanks,

Oisín.