Re: Which current linux distribution has the latest octave release?

From: Ananda Murthy R S
Subject: Re: Which current linux distribution has the latest octave release?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:32:20 +0200

Hello,

I am maintaining the GNU Octave package for Zenwalk GNU Linux. (www.zenwalk.org).

Please include this in the list of distributions offering precompiled packages of GNU Octave.

Sincerely,

Anand

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 27 June 2012 21:33, Nash A <address@hidden> wrote:
> Why can't someone at octave find out, and make a list at that page with a
> direct link?

There isn't "someone at Octave." It's just volunteers like you. If you
have a desire to maintain that webpage, let me know and we can arrange
something.

> Instead of every user searching and searching the net, then it
> only needs to be done once, by someone at octave as they know better which
> distro has the latest octave, or at least they can find easier.

There are hundreds of distributions out there. Listing them all is
difficult, boring, and impossible. Also, deciding which distro to use
based on which Octave packages it has is a little backwards. Gentoo
for example has recent packages, but it's source based. Do you want to
be compiling large chunks of your operating system everything just
because you want the latest Octave package?

Mint is fine, I think. If it can use Ubuntu packages, then get the
backported packages from Ubuntu (the PPAs):

   http://octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_GNU_Linux:_Binary_Octave_packages_for_GNU_Linux#Unofficial_binaries

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.