Setting xticklabel manually

From: amonterou
Subject: Setting xticklabel manually
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:37:27 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to setup an axis in a different scale of what it is actually but
without modifying the shape that it is shown.
This is what I'm trying

*set(gca,'xticklabel',num2cell(linspace(start_X,end_X,X_step)));*
The example I'm doing, start_X = 8, end_X = 12, X_step = 17;

The error I'm currently getting is:
warning: ft_render: skipping missing glyph for character `      '

I believe it is related to how the cell is being built based on the matrix.
it works for me if I create it manually with a fixed string like
{"8","8.25","8.75" ... etc} but not with a linear space created dinamically.

Can somebody help on how to populate the xticklabel with a linear space that
I can modify through code?
Thanks!!